Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Publishing Evolution

Publishing Evolution #82: Print on Demand.

Is it higher or the same as traditionally published books?

I think that the majority of prices were higher than standard published titles for one main reason. One a normally published book, enough copies are printed that distributors are able to offer a decent discount. For the POD titles, there is generally no discount.

On Lulu, The Zombie Survival Guide was $13.95 (eBook). I can get the kindle edition for $9.99. I can also get them free from the library (via the branches or Overdrive).

Have you read any of them? Would you?

I can say with absolute certainty that I have not read a self published book. I do not have the time to take a chance on a title (because I would rather game than read) so I have to make sure that the title is well received. I prefer to look on Amazon to see how well a title is reviewed. I prefer to read titles for YA as well. Lately, the only way I have time to catch up on my reading is to listen to the title on audio. There are currently not many self published titles being turned into an audiobook.

What do you think of self publishing?

Self publishing is fine by me. I personally prefer to spend my reading time else ware, though. I would probably be quicker to read a self published graphic novel over a book.

As a reader, do you prefer books that have gone through the traditional route and have the confidence of a company’s financial backing, or do you not care how the book got printed, you’re just glad it did?

I would prefer to have a book go through the traditional route mainly because I feel that it will have a better change to be edited better. Plus, they are available for free through my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment